Planning for Homecoming 2023
The following information is available to assist you and your colleagues as you plan for Homecoming 2023. If you need any additional information, please contact Alumni Engagement at (309) 438-2586.
Alumni Day, which will take place on Friday, October 13, is a wonderful opportunity to bring your alumni back to campus, honor them for their achievements, and encourage these alumni to share their knowledge with current students. If you have not already done so, in order to allow them time to take off of work or make travel plans, please select and invite your Alumni Day guest(s) soon. Alumni Day honorees will have the option to attend virtually or in person. Those that attend in person will only be allowed one guest. If you need assistance with alumni guest selection, please contact your respective Dean or Development Director.
Once you have decided which alumni you would like to invite, complete the Alumni Day participation form. The deadline for participation forms will be July 31. Please remember to complete a form for each alumni nominee.
Secure necessary travel arrangements and make hotel reservations, if needed, for your guests. For a complete listing and maps of the area, check out the Visiting Campus page.
Get Your Activities Promoted
- Special Homecoming emails to all alumni will be sent the week of August 28 and September 25. Requests should be submitted through the online request form by August 18 and September 15 respectively. Departments should not request Homecoming relays to be sent outside of this system.
- Those interested in being included in the September e-newsletters should submit information by September 15.
- Information submitted through the request form can also be included within social media posts and the Homecoming website.
- Anytime you post for Homecoming, we encourage you to link back to Homecoming.IllinoisState.edu.
- Please also be aware of the photo/video release information needed at University events. Resources are available for events that have a registration option and for events that do not require registration
Submit Your Event Attendance/Alumni Engagement
As your college/department completes Homecoming events, remember to submit your attendee list. Please remember to collect as much information as possible including name, graduation year, address, email, phone, etc. When using the form, select “Event Attendance” from the dropdown before adding information.
In the event that your college/department engages with particular alumni (i.e. speaking in a class, met for coffee, etc), the department contact is encouraged to submit an update online. When using the form, please select “Individual Person” from the dropdown before adding information. Once submitted, the information is then added to the individual’s record in the alumni database for future reference.
A long-running Homecoming tradition is the selection of Homecoming royalty. Faculty and staff can nominate individuals for alumni royalty (deadline July 14) and Reggie's royalty (deadline August 18). All nomination forms will be available under the Homecoming royalty Web page.
Register your office or department to promote your Redbird pride and show your Homecoming spirit! Entrants will be judged on their use of the 2023 Homecoming theme Celebrating Red , use of their school spirit, use of Illinois State University’s name and/or images and the impact of the decorations all week. Judging will be on Friday, October 6, 2023.
Town and Gown 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk
The annual run will be Saturday, October 14 at 8 a.m., rain or shine. Consider forming a group to participate in this annual activity. Participants who register early will receive a discounted registration fee and a commemorative t-shirt on the day of the run. Registration is not yet available. Check-in will be held outside the Student Fitness Center, with parking available in the South University St. parking garage.
Saturday, October 14 at 10 a.m., Units wishing to participate in the parade should make their own arrangements for a parade entry, vehicle, and signs. Registration information is available under the Homecoming Parade section.
If you plan to host a tailgate event in the Redbird Tent Zone, be sure to read all of the tailgating information provided at GoRedbirds.com. The space and tent packages are reserved through Redbird Athletics, however, we encourage you to forward details of your event to Jamie Sennett (jrsenne@IllinoisState.edu) so that it can be included in the Homecoming calendar of events and promoted through the various Homecoming marketing materials.
The Redbird Welcome Tailgate Tent
Opens at 11 a.m. and ends at the start of the ISU football game. Prior to the football game, all alumni are encouraged to join us at the large red and white tent located in the middle of the tent zone. There will be light snacks available and a cash bar.
Get ready for some Redbird football on Saturday, October 14 at 2 p.m. Because the Homecoming game will sell out, we encourage you to make arrangements for your tickets early. Please contact the Redbird Ticket office at GoRedbirds.com or (309) 438-8000.
Grab your Homecoming t-shirt, sweater, or hoodie from either Redbird Spirit Shop location to get ready for Redbirds Reign!
Learn More and Join In
- This is just a brief snapshot of the many activities taking place during Homecoming 2023. Additional details regarding all of the Homecoming 2023 festivities are available online at Homecoming.IllinoisState.edu.
- Follow the Homecoming Twitter ( @ISU_Homecoming ) for updates and to see what's happening.
- Download desktop backgrounds, Facebook cover photos, and logos for your email signature. You can also change your campus phone background and Zoom backgrounds to show off your Homecoming spirit!
- Tag your Homecoming 2023 social media posts with #RedbirdHomecoming.